Summer Reading Assignments
Students entering 7th, 8th, and 9th grades will be required to select a book for a summer reading from a short, carefully chosen list of interesting and high quality novels. The purpose of the summer reading requirement is to continue the development of your reading strategies and to support vocabulary enrichment as well as spark your interest in some great books.
These are all popular books and are available in a variety of places. The books will be on sale in the library in May. This year there will again be a buyback program in your school so you can get credit toward your new book.
Although it is not necessary, we encourage you to buy the book that you select so you can make notes in it and highlight interesting parts. It is important that you have a solid understanding of the characters, setting and plot in the book you choose since there will be a graded activity when you return to school. (So, if you were wondering, “Does this count?” yes;" It does!)
As you read your book, some key ideas you may want to remember:
- Highlight parts that you want to discuss or share when you return to school.
- Make note of any interesting or unknown vocabulary words.
- Question the author; write your questions in the margin as a strategy to help you better understand the plot.
- Make predictions as you read and revise your predictions as you learn more.
- Make use of your inferring skills as you read since most authors have messages that are not easily recognized as part of the plot… what is the theme of your novel?
You must purchase the book or pick up the book at the library. Books on the summer reading list are available at the Junior High West Library in limited quantities. When you return to school in fall, remember to bring your book with you. We look forward to kicking off the year with great discussions about your summer reading!
The Summer Reading book lists for each grade/course for the 2018-2019 school year can be found at the following links:
- 7th Grade Summer Reading List
- 8th Grade Summer Reading List
- 9th Grade Summer Reading List
- 9th Grade Honors Summer Reading List