The Budget and Cost Saving Measures
Posted by Richard H. Faidley on 5/11/2017 2:00:00 PM
This past Tuesday, the Boyertown Area School District’s school board of directors approved the final proposed budget for the 2017-2018 academic year. As mandated by the Pennsylvania Public School Code, the budget document is available to the public for inspection for at least 30 days prior to final adoption at the June 13 school board meeting; our budget document will be available for 30 days. To review the budget document, community members may visit the Education Building during normal business hours.
Over the past five years, the Boyertown Area School District has implemented a number of cost-saving measures in an effort to counter-balance expenses that are either contractually negotiated, such as teacher salaries and benefits, or are mandated by the State, including the Public School Employees’ Retirement System (PSERS). These changes included:
- Becoming self-insured for health and dental benefits. In 2010 the District made the decision to become self-insured. In becoming self-insured, the District collects its own premiums and is financially responsible for paying claims for dental, medical and prescription expenses. Since becoming self-insured the District has been able to keep premium increases to the single digits.
- Implementing time clocks for hourly employees. Not only does the new system break out individual job codes, it ties into the District’s payroll software reducing payroll preparation for hourly employees from three to four days to four hours, and eliminating overtime and 20% of a clerical position.
- Accepting credit card payments for breakfast, lunch, activity fees and trip deposits.
- Consolidating laser jet printers; replacing with centralized multi-function printers/copiers/scanners/fax machines saving on costly printer cartridge purchases and controlling copy capability and security.
- Implementing online/electronic approvals of purchase orders, employee leave requests, and Facility Usage Requests reducing paper copies and increasing efficiencies of approvals.
- Implementing electronic bidding of supplies with interface to a purchasing module, thereby saving paperwork and increasing accuracy and efficiency of ordering.
The Boyertown Area School District’s school board of directors, the administration, and I appreciate your input as we work to finalize the 2017-2018 budget.