- Numbers, Number Systems and Number Relationships
- Computation and Estimation
- Measurement and Estimation
- Mathematical Reasoning and Connections
- Mathematical Problem Solving and Communication
- Statistics and Data Analysis
- Probability and Predictions
- Algebra and Functions
- Concepts of Calculus
Big Ideas in Numbers and Operations
- Students will understand numbers, ways of representing numbers, relationships among numbers, and number systems.
- Students will understand the meanings of operations and how they relate to one another.
- Students will compute fluently and make reasonable estimates.
Big Ideas in Measurement
- Meaningful measurement and estimation of measurements depend on a personal familiarity with the measurement being used.
- Measurement instruments are devices that replace the need for non-standard measurement units.
Big Ideas in Geometry
- Shapes being alike or different is determined by geometric properties.
- Shapes can be moved. Shapes can be seen from different perspectives.
Big Ideas in Algebra
- Logical patterns exist and are a regular occurrence in mathematics.
- Symbolism is used to express generalizations of patterns and relationships.
- Variables are symbols that take the place of numbers or ranges of numbers.
Big Ideas in Data Analysis and Probability
- Appropriate statistical methods are necessary to become intelligent consumers.
- The collection, organization and display of data are used to answer questions.
- The choice of data display can affect the visual message communicated. Inferences and predictions from data are used to make critical and informed decisions.
- Probability can be used to make decisions, predictions or choices.
CORE BELIEFS ABOUT INSTRUCTION:
- Effective instruction actively engages students in a learning process that
- promotes higher-order thinking.
- Students learn best when objectives are clear, achievable, and meaningful to their lives.
- Effective instruction must meet the needs and interests of students through a variety of differentiated strategies.
- Effective instruction is driven by continual assessment, teacher and student
- reflection and modification to improve student achievement.
- A consistently positive, safe and respectful learning environment is integral for
- effective instruction.
- Effective instruction builds shared accountability for learning.
BEST PRACTICES IN INSTRUCTION:
COURSE OFFERINGS:The Boyertown Area School District has designed its course offerings to tie to the standards adopted by Pennsylvania's Department of Education. The State's standards serve as the basis for our model of curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Teachers should provide students with open-ended questions to solve.
- Students need to engage in inquiry-based investigations to resolve problem-solving situations.
- Relevance is integral to mathematics teaching and learning, therefore teachers should incorporate real-world activities to foster inquiry-based learning.
- Manipulatives and hands-on activities should be a regular part of mathematics instruction.
- Teachers should provide students with opportunities to explore concrete and abstract mathematical concepts.
- Teachers should emphasize understanding rather than memorization and drill and practice.
- Differentiated instruction needs to be provided to meet the needs of all learners.
- Teachers should include relationships between old and new concepts in their instruction to help students make connections between the known and the new.
- Opportunities to integrate math across the other curricular areas should be explored.
- Students should experience a variety of cooperative group opportunities to engage in collaborative, problem-solving.
- Teachers should use math journals to deepen understanding through reflection and communication.
- Teachers should use a variety of ongoing, multiple assessment techniques.
"To cultivate an exceptional, innovative learning community that enable all students to succeed in a changing world"
The Boyertown Area School District’s philosophy is to equip students for our changing world by providing daily exposure to 21st Century skills, knowledge, and tools.