MCKINNEY-VENTO HOMELESS ACT NOTICE
AND ASSISTANCE FROM BOYERTOWN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
In compliance with the Federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Act, as reauthorized in 2015 by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the Boyertown Area School District believes that homeless youth should have access to free and appropriate public education and wishes to limit the barriers that homeless children may face. Our goal is to have the educational process continue as uninterrupted as possible while children are in homeless situations.
Homeless students are defined as individuals lacking a fixed, regular, and nighttime residence, which includes students living under the following conditions:
- Sharing the housing of other people due to loss of housing or economic
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to a lack of adequate alternative
- Living in an emergency, transition or domestic violence
- Abandoned in hospitals
- Awaiting foster care
- Living in public or private places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for humans.
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, transportation stations, or similar settings.
- Living as migratory children in conditions described in previous
- Living as run-away
- Being abandoned or forced out of homes by parents/guardians or
- Living as school-age unwed mothers in houses for unwed mothers if they have no other living
For homeless assistance from the Boyertown Area School District, please contact:
Dr. Kristen Horton
Supervisor of Student Services
Pennsylvania Department of Education Homeless Information: Additional information from the Pennsylvania Department of Health can be found at:
ECYEH Homeless Information: Additional information from Pennsylvania's Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program (EDYEH) can be found at: https://ecyeh.center-school.org/resources/.
A copy of Boyertown Area School District Homeless Students Policy #251 is on file at the Education Center, 911 Montgomery Avenue, Boyertown, PA 19512, or on our website, Board Policy #251 - Homeless Students.