Announcements & Upcoming Events:
Just a friendly reminder to check your school email for important/updated information from the counseling department.
The Da Vinci Science Center in Allentown, PA is now accepting applications from female high school students interested in attending the 2021 Women in Science & Engineering (WISE) Forum. The 2021 WISE Forum, presented by Sanofi, will be held on Tuesday, October 12, 2021, from 4:30-9:00 pm at The Center 100 Hotel Allentown / Lehigh Valley, 7736 Adrienne Drive, Breinigsville, PA 18031. This event brings together female high school students, students and professors from area universities and colleges, and accomplished women from area corporations in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
The first half of the evening consists of a Mentoring Dinner where attendees can network with each other - this is really an opportunity for the high school girls with an interest in STEM to talk one on one with and hear stories and advice from female professionals and college students and faculty. Following the dinner, we have a Public Panel Discussion featuring a panel of distinguished female STEM professionals. This year's panelists include:
- Kelly Beaver, B.S., MBA, Vice President, Energy Marketing and Supply, UGI Energy Services, LLC
- Victoria Brifo, B.S., Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer, Air Products
- Jaye Gardiner, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate, Fox Chase Cancer Center and IF/THEN® Ambassador
- Julie Louise Gerberding, M.D., M.P.H., Executive Vice President and Chief Patient Officer, Strategic Communications, Global Public Policy, and Population Health, Merck & Co., Inc. (former head, US CDC)
- Lisa Nibauer, B.S., MBA, Executive Vice President, Business Unit Leader, Diagnostics, OraSure Technologies, Inc.
- Elsa Reichmanis, Ph.D., Professor and Carl Robert Anderson Chair in Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Lehigh University
- Annette M. Van Dien, PE., Senior Structural Engineer, D'Huy Engineering, Inc.
Attached is an informational flyer with additional info about the event. The Mentoring Dinner is free (thanks to sponsor supported scholarships!) for high school girls, but because of limited seating there is an application to attend. Applications will be accepted until Monday, June 21st; applicants will be notified of their acceptance by Friday, September 3rd. The Public Panel Discussion is free and open to all members of the general public.
The application can be found here: https://www.davincisciencecenter.org/wise-initiative/wise-forum/
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Patricia Pietronbon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC) announces an accelerated Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning Refrigeration (HVACR) certificate program that will begin in August for the Fall 2021 semester. The training will be identical to the existing certificate program but at an accelerated pace, and students will receive the same training and certifications as the other programs. The program, when followed as designed, will take 12 months to complete instead of 24 months, with HVACR classes to be offered during the summer, as well as both morning and evening classes, which allows students the flexibility to take classes no matter what their work schedule responsibilities are. Employment opportunities in all the trade fields are very high.
Please see the attached flyer for more information. You can also visit the website below for more information:
- PACAC has provided its Camp College (CC) experience for students in the Commonwealth to come together and learn about the College Admissions process. CC has always been free and focused on inclusion, access, and success in the college admissions process. Last year was their first year of having Camp College completely virtual. This year, they will continue to have a Virtual program. This year's Virtual Camp College (VCC) will be better than ever, providing students and families access to dozens of college admissions experts and providing a wealth of resources to help you better understand and move through the college process. Please see the below information for the specifics on the virtual camp. More information can also be found on their website at: pacac.org/camp-college. Please click HERE for more information.
- Great resource for parents- Remake Learning Parent Webinars: CLICK HERE for more information.
Find the college that fits you at an upcoming NACAC Virtual College Fair.
It's easy! Just drop in on Zoom sessions offered by hundreds of colleges. It's one day to explore your options and get started on your college dreams.
Hear about student life, majors and programs, financial aid, scholarships, and more, plus ask questions and text chat. Sign up now for free at virtualcollegefairs.org and start exploring. Families invited, too!
Click this link to register: https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/attend-virtual-college-fairs/students/
Attached to this e-mail is a FAFSA Guide to help students, parents, families complete the FAFSA. This guide was created specifically for seniors attending high school in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and the surrounding areas by the Financial Aid Department at Montgomery County Community College. It will be useful for any student who intends to continue their education beyond high school at a college or university.
Please review the Student Aid Guide as it provides a complete overview of the financial aid process with information on most of Pennsylvania’s financial aid programs and services. We hope you find it helpful as you navigate how to pay for college (2 year, 4 year, Technical): https://www.pheaa.org/college-planning/student-aid-guide/pdf/student-aid-guide.pdf